Reynolds Family History


                                                                              The Rock Spring Plantation  

				Above R. J. Reynolds and his statue in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Richard Joshua Reynolds: A Young Man From Patrick Changed the World


    Several years ago while working in the new Wachovia building in downtown Winston-Salem, North Carolina, I happened to look out the window from the eighth floor and saw a familiar figure. At lunch, I went out to the small park near the new skyscraper and there was a young man on a horse forever immortalized in bronze.


    On July 20, 1853, a son was born to Hardin William and Nancy Jane Cox Reynolds at their home Rock Spring at the foot of No Business Mountain in the eastern section of Patrick County. Little could they realize what an impact this man would have on the world.


    Two local traditions linger about the young man. In April 1865, he supposedly hid horses from the U. S. Cavalry under George Stoneman raiding in the last days of the Civil War. Another is in 1870 he attended Emory and Henry College, like Jeb Stuart twenty years earlier, but that Rufus James Woolwine apparently took his favorite girl from him and they married her.


    The young man in question suffered from dyslexia and stammered. He had large appetites for work, women, gambling, and drink. He worked for his father as a salesman for the family tobacco business traveling through Tennessee, Kentucky and South Carolina saving his money for a future venture.


    He needed a railroad hub for his business plans and since there was not one in Patrick County, he traveled to the nearest one. In 1874, he arrived in Winston, North Carolina with 5,000 dollars. Winston and Salem were separate towns then. He spent $388.50 for a hundred foot lot near railroad tracks to build a factory to manufacture chewing tobacco.


    He married Mary Katherine Smith in 1905 and produced four children: Richard, Mary, Nancy and Zachary. When he died of cancer on July 29, 1918, his company had 121 buildings, ten thousand workers, made ten million dollars a year profit. He left an hundred million dollar estate including Reynolda House and Tanglewood. Virginia Tech operates his birthplace and seven hundred acres as the Reynolds Homestead.


    Richard Joshua Reynolds is buried in the cemetery near Old Salem within site of the giant Wachovia building and the statue of himself as a young man coming from Patrick County to change the world.

The grave of R. J. Reynolds and family in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Above Richard Joshua Reynolds. Below left R. J. Reynolds with wife Katharine Smith Reynolds
Below right, R. J. Reynolds with his brothers.
Courtesy of Kimble Reynolds
Kitty Reynolds: Patrick County’s Civil Rights Mother    

      In the kitchen of the Reynolds Homestead hangs a picture of Kitty Reynolds, the slave that traditions says saved the life of her owner Hardin Reynolds when she distracted a raging bull long enough for the father of R. J. to escape danger, but it is as a mother than she should be more famous.

     Burwell age nineteen and Lee age seventeen were children of Kitty Reynolds. On November 29, 1877, at the end of Reconstruction after the Civil War the Reynolds brothers got into a fight with the white brothers Green and Aaron Shelton near the present day site of the Patrick County Schools bus maintenance garage. The cause of the altercation was verbal harassment by the Shelton boys directed at a school for former slaves at the site overlooking Campbell’s Branch.

     Aaron Shelton knocked Lee Reynolds over a log near the road and Burwell stabbed the former with a knife resulting in Shelton’s death the next day. In April 1878, Patrick County tried the two Reynolds brothers separately. Judge William Treadway presided and with all white juries even though attorneys for the brothers Andrew M. Lybrook and William Martin asked for the juries to be one third black. The court found Burwell guilty of first degree murder after a second trial. Lee received an eighteen-year sentence for second-degree murder after a second trial. The attorneys petitioned Judge Alexander Rives of the Federal District of Western Virginia to move the cases to federal court on the grounds that the state court denied the defendant’s rights due to a lack of blacks on the juries and they could not receive a fair trial in Patrick County due to their race.

     On November 18, 1878, Deputy U. S. Marshall O. R. Wooten arrived in Stuart to take the Reynolds brothers under his protection. This set off a chain of events that ended up in the U.S. Supreme Court. Editorials in newspaper and Resolutions in the Virginia General Assembly said Judge Rives actions were a "Federal usurpation of power" and "unwarranted by the Constitution." Virginia’s Attorney General asked Congress to pass legislation to prevent Federal courts from "usurping" the power of state courts. Newspapers as far away as Baltimore and New York commented on the case that began as a senseless killing in Patrick County.

     Judge Rives responded by calling two grand juries that included black men that eventually indicted judges in Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Botetourt, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Franklin, Fluvanna, Halifax, Henry, Nelson and Roanoke counties including Judge James D. Coles of Pittsylvania County and Judge Samuel G. Staples of Patrick County for excluding African-Americans from juries violating the Civil Rights Act of 1875 and the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which guaranteed "equal protection of the law."

     Of all the judges arrested only Judge James Doddridge Coles of Pittsylvania County refused bail and petitioned the U. S. Supreme Court for a writ of habeas corpus claiming he had not violated any law becoming a case forever known as Ex Parte Virginia. On March 15, 1880, the Supreme Court denied the petition, thus upholding Judge Rives actions as part of decisions on three separate cases commonly referred to as "The Civil Rights Cases" that set precedents for the protection of rights for the former slaves. The courthouse in Chatham received National Landmark status in 1987 due to this case instead of Patrick mainly because the National Park Service did not dig deep enough to find the roots of the case were in Patrick County. Further information can be found in the writings of Herman Melton’s Pittsylvania County’s Historic Courthouse: The Story Behind Ex Parte Virginia and "Thirty-Nine Lashes-Well Laid On:" Crime and Punishment in Southside Virginia 1750-1950.

     Burwell Reynolds received a sentence of five years for manslaughter for killing Aaron Shelton. Patrick County did not prosecute Lee Reynolds and released him. Kitty Reynolds continued to be a cherished member of the Reynolds family. Tobacco magnate R. J. Reynolds would send a car from Winston-Salem up to Patrick County and bring her to stay with his family. She never realized the full impact of her involvement as a "mother" of Civil Rights in Patrick County.

The kitchen where Kitty Reynolds lived and worked at the Reynolds Homestead.
Patrick County’s Black Population in the Civil War

     When the Civil War broke out in April 1861 Patrick County’s slave population was around 2000 souls. The county received a request near the end of 1862 from the Governor of Virginia for slaves "to labour on fortifications and other works necessary for the public defence." Patrick County appointed a committee to procure slaves in each of the county’s districts and sixty-three slaves were delivered to the Sheriff on December 30, 1862.

    Another request occurred in September 1863 for slaves to appear on October 12, 1863. January 1865 saw the third request for slaves from the Confederate government to appear at the courthouse on April 17, 1865. The war in Virginia ended on April 9, 1865 with Lee’s surrender to Grant at Appomattox Court House. It is doubtful that these last seventeen people ever saw service for the South. The total number of slaves requisitioned for Confederate service throughout the war was 130 people.

     Between 1820 and 1860, there were never more than 140 free people of color living in the county. A law passed on February 12, 1863, for the "enrollment and employment of free Negroes." On September 29, 1863, James or Jarvus Beaver, Alis or Alice Fenly, Josephus Givny, Soloman Johnson, Edward Loggin, Jackson Loggin, Samuel Nelson, Governor Phillips, Peter Rickman, Harrison Steward, Henry Steward, Salie Stuart, Granville Stuart, William H. Travis and John Vaughan, all "free people of color" were conscripted into service for the Confederate cause from Patrick County.

     Records exist relating to several of these people. Governor Phillips was five foot ten inches tall and had black eyes, black hair and a black complexion. He reported to New Bern in Pulaski County on July 1, 1864 to Lieutenant Poole under the direction of the Confederate Quartermaster Department under the command of I. H. Lacy. Others reporting to New Bern were Granville Stewart, Josephus Goins, William Harris, James M. Hickman, Soloman Johnson and Jacob Lac. All reported being born in Patrick County, but may not have been enrolled from the county.

     The Confederate war effort was enhanced by the use of slave and free Negro labor for jobs such as building trenches and support staff such as teamsters, cooks and personal servants to officers. They were used as non-combatants and never saw service fighting for the South. This labor force freed the white men to fight and help make up for the disparities in numbers that gave the Union forces a considerable advantage.

     The Emancipation Proclamation freed all slaves in Patrick County in January 1863 as it was under Confederate control. The Thirteenth Amendment to the U. S. Constitution ratified in December 1865 ended slavery. The Fourteenth Amendment ratified in 1868 guaranteed citizenship, equal protection and due process. The Fifteenth Amendment in 1870 protected voting rights

Patrick County’s Civil War Soldiers in the United States Colored Troops

     Many slaves followed George Stoneman’s United States cavalry when it passed through Patrick County in April 1865. The Reynolds’ slaves followed the Yankee raiders. Hardin Reynolds told his other son Abram, "My son the Yankees have been here and torn up everything and my Negro men have all gone with them." Upon arriving in Danbury, Stoneman felt the number of former slaves following the raid endangered the future safety of all involved. Stoneman sent "several hundred" under guard to East Tennessee, where many of the men enlisted in the 119th United States Colored Troops.

     The regiment organized at Camp Nelson ( ) near Nicholasville, Kentucky from January 18 until May 16, 1865 (Other records indicated June 6-July 12). Equipped with .577 caliber Enfield rifles, George Gray, Peter Gray, Edmond Hylton, Jacob Reynolds, Miles Reynolds and Samuel Tatum of Patrick County served under Colonel Charles G. Bartlett and Lieutenant Colonel Thomas R. Weaver. The regiment mustered out of the service of the United States on April 27, 1866.

GRAY, George. Company H, 119th U. S. Colored Infantry (Kentucky Infantry), April 14, 1865-April 27, 1866. Widow, Lavina, applied for pension. Lived at Colesville Post Office.

GRAY, Peter. Company K, 119th U. S. Colored Infantry (Kentucky Infantry), April 14, 1865-April 27, 1866. Lived at Consent Post Office.

HYLTON, Edmond (Edward). Company H, 119th U. S. Colored Infantry (Kentucky Infantry), April 14, 1865-April 27, 1866. Lived at Consent Post Office.

REYNOLDS, Jacob. Company K, 119th U. S. Colored Infantry. Widow, Letty, applied for pension. Lived at Patrick Springs Post Office.

REYNOLDS, Miles. Company H, 119th U. S. Colored Infantry. Widow, Rhoda, applied for pension. Lived at Patrick Springs Post Office.

TATUM, Samuel. Company H, 119th U. S. Colored Infantry (Kentucky Infantry), April 14, 1865-April 27, 1866. Lived at Dobyns Post Office.


Summary of Six Former Slaves that Join the United States Colored Troops

From Patrick County Virginia

By Cynthia Wilson


The following three soldiers are very familiar with each other.  Their pension files a loaded with depositions that they gave for each other.  They seem to have joined the Union Army at the same time and were mustered out at the same time and returned to Patrick County about the same time.


Edmund Hylton


            Born on 2 February 1849 and died 26 April 1916 in Patrick County Virginia.  He married twice:  Mary Joyce (1843-1896, daughter of Samuel and Leathe Joyce) on 4 January 1854 and Onie Price in January 1901.  To the first union 11 children were born:  Henry, William, George, Mary, Samuel, James, General, Gabriel, Louisa and 2 unnamed children.  No children were born to the second marriage.

           He entered the Union Army on 14 April 1865 at Greensville, Tennessee and transferred to Camp Nelson, Kentucky on 10 May 1865 and served in Co. H, 119th USCT and mustered out 27 April 1866. 

           In his deposition dated 20 September 1895, he said that he was owned by Jeremiah W. Hylton:  “… I was owned by Jeremiah Hylton, now dead.  I resided in said neighborhood from my birth until April 1865… I left my old mistress [Nancy Hylton] April 9th 1865 and I returned to her on the 8th day of May 1866.”

           A search of my records on slaves in probate records, shows that at age 6 months, he and his twin brother, William were owned by Jeremiah Hylton – inventory dated September 1849.  In a division of slaves on 17 October 1849, Nancy Hylton, Jeremiah’s wife, received the twin boys.  Later on 7 November 1850, they were sold to A. (Augustus) J. Hylton for a total of $300.00.  Augustus later died about 1861, but his inventory dated 8 August 1861 does not list either of the boys.  Their mother, Lacky was also part of the September 1849 inventory and was given to Augustus Hylton.

           Edmund applied for pension under a disability which was inflicted in the Fall and Winter 1865 when exposed to bad weather at the camp.  He claimed that he contracted “rheumatism” and that affected his entire life – could not do manual labor.  In the end he was given a pension of $20 per month.  His widow, Onie, applied for expenses incurred in the burial of her husband and accrued pension benefits.  On 23 May1928, years after her husband died, she was given a total of $2169.40.


Samuel Tatum


            Born 14 November 1847 and died 12 July 1937 in Patrick County Virginia.  Was the son of Charles and Celia Tatum.  He married Arabella Hylton (1858 – 1922, daughter of Bette Hylton) on 12 December 1873 in Stokes County, North Carolina.  They were the parents of 11 children:  Cora, Susannah, Nannie, S. Russell, Flora, Patrick, Samuel, Harry, Annie, Thomas & Ethel.

            He enrolled in the USCT at Greensville, Tennessee on 14 April 1865 into Co. K. 119th Kentucky, commanded by John Wright and was transferred to Camp Nelson on 10 May 1865.  His unit was mustered out on 17 April 1866 at Louisville, Kentucky.

             He applied for disability with the following conditions which he attributed to over exposure to the weather:  Rheumatism, Erysipelas and Nasal Polypus.  His medical record for his time in the service listed his visits to the doctors with the following ailments:  14 May 1865 to 8 August 1865, Measles; 14 to 16 September, Mumps; 17 September 1865, Bil; 29 & 30 December 1865, Inflammation of the Larynx; 3 to 6 January 1866; Inflammation of the tonsils; and 13 to 21 January 1866, Constipation.  In a deposition from Peter Gray dated 30 June 1892, he confirms that Samuel went to the hospital in the early part of May 1865 and did not return to duty until August.

            He was granted a pension of $20 per month but later requested an increase in the pension and was denied several times.  After his death, his son, Thomas Tatum attempted to recover $200 for the burial expenses, but only received $100.


Peter Gray


            Born 13 June 1845 and died 8 July 1919, son of Charles Pringle and Susan Gray.  He married Adaline Joyce on 11 April 1875.  She was born May 1852 and died 19 Nov 1937 and was the daughter of Sam and Leatha Hines Joyce.  Peter and Adaline were the parents of 9 children:  John, William, George, Lucy, Mater, Charley, Ernest, Joseph and Raleigh.

            Peter enlisted at Greensville, Tennessee on 14 April 1865 and was transferred to Camp Nelson on 10 May 1865 into Co. K, 119th USCT under the command of Captain John Wright.  During his service time, he was injured when he jumped a ditch and fell causing an umbilical hernia later in life.  He spent most of the summer going to the hospital for illnesses:   14 July 1865, Rheumatism; 15 & 16 July 1865, Cold; 19 July 1865, Cough; 28 – 30 August 1865, Mumps and 8 April 1866, Jaundice.  He applied for pension on many occasions and received his first pension of $6 on 1 July 1905, but the month before his death he was receiving $20 per month.  After the completion of his military service he moved to Sandy Ridge P.O. in Stokes County North Carolina.  During the Fall of 1867, he moved to Russell Creek in Patrick County and remained there until his death.

           His wife Adaline made her first application for widow’s pension on 30 July 1919.  It  was on affidavit dated 14 August 1928,  that  she identified her siblings:  Henry, Lum, Isabelle, Bettie, Martha, Ann, Louvenia and Nancy and that her parents, Samuel and Leathe were deceased.  Adaline received $9 per month.

            Peter does not talk much about his family or life in Patrick County.  In a General Affidavit given by Jessie Clark and Henry Tatum dated 20 August 1900, they talk about knowing Peter “since he was a small boy.  That they were all born within three or four miles of each other..” If this correct then Peter was owned by Daniel Gray; Henry Tatum was owned by Edward Tatum; and Jesse Clark is the brother of Lavinia Clark Gray (George Gray’s widow) and owned by Joseph Clark.


Information for the following soldiers was obtained from their Widow’s Civil War Pension files obtained from the National Archives in Washington DC.  These three (3) soldiers’ military service was cut short due to fevers and disease.  Their widows in many instances struggled to get documents that confirmed their very existence.  They, because of their status as slaves prior to the War, had to get depositions to prove prior and current marriages, births and deaths of children and to have consistent dates that slaves normally had difficulty knowing.


George Gray


            Born about 1835 and died 11 June 1865.  George was married to Lavinia/ Louvenia Clark on 25 December 1858.  Lavinia was born about 1835 (daughter of Martha Clark) and died 2 April 1916. There were no children born to this union.  Although there is a child in the pension records who identifies herself as Nannie Gray, daughter of Lavinia. (Nannie was found in the census record as “Lillian”.)

             George enrolled at Boon, North Carolina on 14 April 1865 as part of Co. H, 119th USCT.  On 10 May 1865 he was stationed at Camp Nelson, Kentucky.  He entered the General Hospital and died 11 June 1865 as a result of Typhoid Fever.  He is buried at Camp Nelson National Cemetery in Nicholasville, Kentucky in Plot C, O, 1180.  His “Record of Death and Interment” was issued by Daniel Meeker, Surgeon in Charge.

             In her widow’s pension deposition, Lavinia stated she was owned by “Clark”.  I checked my book of slave names in probate records and found that she was indeed owned by a “Clark”, specifically Joseph Clark who died 5 July 1858.  Lavinia was 14 years old (in the possession Mr. Houlway) and her mother, Martha was 35; each had a value of $375 and $800, respectively. 

            Lavinia’s daughter on several occasions pleaded with the Pension Board to get some relief on the debts left by her mother.


Miles/Myles Reynolds


             Born about 1823 and died 3 June 1865.  Miles was married to Rhoda Reynolds on 25 December 1849 in a ceremony conducted by Harden W. Reynolds. Rhoda was born about 1828 and died 27 January 1896.   Miles and Rhoda were the parents of 8 children:  Ann, Mariah, Cynthia, Matilda, Columbus, Nancy Jane, Emily and Miles.

             Miles was enrolled in the Union Army at Boon, North Carolina on 14 April 1865 as part of Co. H. 119th USCT Kentucky.  On 10 May 1865, he was transferred to Camp Nelson, Kentucky and within days, 16 May 1865 entered the General Hospital for the treatment of measles.  He died from that disease on 3 June 1865 and is buried at Camp Nelson National Cemetery in Nicholasville, Kentucky in Plot: C, O, 984.  His “Record of Death and Interment” was issued by Daniel Meeker, Surgeon in Charge.      

             In a statement by Harden Reynolds and Richard Reynolds on 9 December 1879, they confirmed that Harden was the owner of Miles and Rhoda before Miles’ departure to the Army.


Jacob/Jack Reynolds


            Born about 1824 and died 13 June 1865.  He was married near Christmas of 1848 in a ceremony performed by his owner, Harden W. Reynolds to Letty Cox.  Letty, according to Nancy J. Cox Reynolds, Harden’s wife, was raised by her father, Joshua Cox.  Letty was born about 1822 and died 7 March 1894.  Jacob and Letty were the parents of 3 children, Mary, Adaline and Henry.  I did find a fourth child, Susan, not identified by Letty in her widow’s deposition.

             Jacob enrolled in the Army at Boon, North Carolina 14 April 1865 after following General Stoneman out of Danville North Carolina on 8 April 1865.  He joined Co. K of the 119th USCT Kentucky under the command of Capt. John Wright at Camp Nelson, Kentucky.  On 14 May 1865 he entered the General Hospital at the camp for the treatment of measles.  He died on 13 June 1865 from the complications associated with measles.  Jacob is buried at Camp Nelson National Cemetery in Nicholasville, Kentucky in Plot C, O, 1177. A “Record of Death and Interment” was issued by the Daniel Meeker, Surgeon in Charge.

              In a deposition given by Harden Reynolds on 18 January 1875 he confirms the story told in Tom Perry’s book, of his slaves leaving to join Stoneman.  He stated, “ … that they [Letty and Jacob] remained on his farm and as his property until Genl Stoneman made his raid through this County on the 8th day of April 1865, at which last date Jack Reynolds left with General Stoneman’s command as this affiant was informed by the hands on the plantation …” 

            Letty was granted widow’s pension and receive $12.00 per month until her death.


Cynthia A. Wilson

2611 East Yesler Way

Seattle, WA  98122


        Click Here To See All The Information On These Six Men From Patrick County




Abram David Reynolds, brother of R. J. Reynolds

Civil War History at the Reynolds Homestead

            The following about the Reynolds Homestead and the Civil War is from The Free State Of Patrick: Patrick County In The Civil War and the Memoirs of A. D. Reynolds.

Abram David Reynolds, oldest son of Hardin and Nancy Cox Reynolds, recounts in his memoirs (written fifty years after the war) many interesting stories relating to life in Patrick County during the war. Born in 1847 at the Reynolds Homestead, Rock Spring Plantation, Abram Reynolds, was too young at the beginning of the war for active service, but his persistence soon got him into the fray.

            In the fall of 1862, Hardin Reynolds sent his fifteen-year-old son to West Virginia with a four-horse team and one slave to purchase salt for the family. Young Reynolds traveled with a Mr. Patterson of Franklin County who also had a team and brought one slave. Together they came up with a scheme to make their trip a success.

One day Reynolds rode ahead on Patterson’s horse and collected corn and feed for the teams. The next day Reynolds stayed with the wagons while Patterson traveled ahead. The country they entered was desolate and many people traveled before them. Reynolds wrote, “Before we could reach Charleston we were ordered to turn back and everything was being rushed at such a rate the Salt wagons had to leave a part of their load which we bought at nearly the same price they paid. So very soon we had all the Salt we could pull with our corn which was not half yet fed.” Reynolds “peddled” tobacco to pay for expenses along the way, and his father “rejoiced” at his return with 4,000 pounds of salt that they sold at their store until the end of the war. 

Another person living at the Reynolds Homestead was Kittie Reynolds, the slave whom tradition says saved the life of her owner, Hardin Reynolds, when she distracted a raging bull long enough for him to escape it. Perhaps her children should be more famous. On November 29, 1877, two of her sons, Burwell, age 19, and Lee, age 17, got into a fight with the white brothers Green and Aaron Shelton. The cause of the altercation was verbal harassment by the Shelton boys directed at a school for former slaves. The site today overlooks Campbell’s Branch near the maintenance garage of the local school system. The resulting fight ended with the death of Aaron Shelton and murder charges against the Reynolds brothers. The case known as Ex Parte Virginia reached the Supreme Court of the United States, which agreed that the Reynolds were not given equal protection under the law violating the Civil Rights Act of 1875 and the Fourteenth Amendment.    

Meanwhile, emboldened by his son’s success with the salt, Hardin Reynolds sent Abram from Patrick County to North Carolina cotton mills to purchase “spun cotton” for resale to loom operators. Ignoring the warning signs of a smallpox outbreak, Reynolds returned to Patrick County with the cotton only to have his father censure him severely. Hardin immediately vaccinated all his children against the disease. The three youngest children died in late October 1862. Within two months, Hardin wrote to the Virginia Military Institute requesting an appointment for his oldest son.

Abram D. Reynolds began seven months at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia in the summer of 1863, but appeared unannounced at home in March 1864 saying he had been dismissed. Reynolds, now 17, qualified for service in the ever-expanding age ranges for Confederate soldiers. He rode to Taylorsville, gave a rousing speech and in an election as company captain defeated a John Stovall, who campaigned with a ten-gallon jug of apple brandy. Reynolds entered Company I, Fifth Battalion Virginia Reserves. By September, Reynolds (recently promoted to major) commanded 66 men.

On the night of March 27, 1865, Abram Reynolds assisted William T. Akers, former Major of the 51st Virginia Infantry, in handling some “very dangerous characters” on Shooting Creek near the border with Franklin County. Reynolds approached the home of the suspects with Samuel A. Penn, formerly of the 42nd Virginia Infantry, and Thompson Washburn, formerly of the 51st Virginia Infantry. Reynolds and Washburn entered the home in front with Penn directly behind. At that moment Sheriff Turner, not recognizing them, encountered the party attempting to take the same prisoners and ordered them to halt. When Reynolds and Penn raised their arms, Turner mistakenly fired at the party wounding Reynolds in the shoulder. “Poor Sam Penn” took the entire load of buckshot in the chest and yelled “Oh Lord, I am killed by one of my friends.” Reynolds lost the use of his right arm for many years.

            After the close of the war, officials in Richmond appointed Sheriff Turner as Provost Marshall. Turner organized two companies under command of Reynolds and Penn with “authority to organize a military court to try these marauders and execute or imprison them.” The county ordered the sheriff to organize militia “for the purpose of suppressing the lawless outrages now being committed. The county stipulated, however, that this militia was “not intended to interfere in any manner with the authority of the United States or any other legitimate state of Federal Government.”

Abram Reynolds gathered men to break up the camp of “Major” Scott and 300 men at Martha Brown’s home. Scott had raided the home of Mrs. George Hylton, who had just delivered twins. Reynolds’s memoir states:

            “One of my neighbors Joe King called to see me and said Mrs. George Helton had given birth to twins and some of Scott’s men had come and robbed her crib and commenced to take her bed clothes. She said ‘Men, I consider myself a widow. My husband was killed or captured soon after he was at home about nine months ago and I have not complained at your taking horses and feed, but do spare me my bedding.’ One man a neighbor who had joined Scott’s command drew his pistol and said ‘if you open your mouth I will blow your brains out.’ … I jumped to my feet and said If I have surrendered to a government who will tolerate such treatment as that I will sell my life as dear as I can and die. I got on my horse and rode for three days making up a company of men to arrest Major Scott and his 300 men mostly Confederate deserters.”

             Reynolds scouted the camp and visited Henry County, recruiting fifty men for the attack. He found another fifty men waiting at Mrs. Hylton’s and prepared to attack Scott’s camp at sunrise. He divided his men to attack on all sides. He wrote, “When we got in sight of the camp we saw the U. S. flag hoisted and over half of our men were on parole and we hesitated to fire on troops under the U. S. flag.” Reynolds and John E. Penn decided to approach the camp under a flag of truce and demand surrender. Just as they began to confer with an officer, the other part of Reynolds’s men attacked the camp wounding the other officer. The camp was a treasure for the destitute former Confederates with horses, cattle, clothes, corn, bacon, leather and all kinds of produce, all of it stolen from the local populace.

Sarah Catherine “Kate” Penn Hylton gave birth to twins, Barbara Ann “Annie” and Clark Penn Hylton on April 16, 1865, a week after Stoneman left the area. Mrs. Hylton died of causes unknown on May 15, over a month after the raid. Clark P. Hylton died on June 6, 1866. Kate’s husband, George Wade Hylton had enlisted on September 5, 1861 in Company H, 58th Virginia Infantry. He operated a remount station for the horses used by Confederate forces during the war. Hylton returned to service in October 1864 as a private in Company D, 10th Virginia Cavalry. Captured at the Battle of Five Forks, Hylton was a prisoner of war at Point Lookout, Maryland until June 14, 1865. He came home to Patrick County and lived until 1898. Family tradition reports that he believed the deserters were from both sides.

Colonel Peter Hairston of the 24th Virginia Infantry years later recalled after the war that Scott was a member of Stoneman’s command, but information on the deserter leader is sketchy at best. General James A. Walker reportedly killed Scott in Pulaski County for creating a similar band of ruffians there.

            Another incident in Patrick County involved fifteen-year-old Richard Joshua Reynolds. The future tobacco magnate hid the family's horses in the woods during George Stoneman’s Raid. He returned to the family home, Rock Spring, to find it pillaged, but not burned.

Many slaves followed George Stoneman’s United States cavalry when it passed through Patrick County in April 1865. The Reynolds’ slaves followed the Yankee raiders. Hardin Reynolds told his other son Abram, “My son the Yankees have been here and torn up everything and my Negro men have all gone with them.” Upon arriving in Danbury, Stoneman felt the number of former slaves following the raid endangered the future safety of all involved. Stoneman sent “several hundred” under guard to East Tennessee, where many of the men enlisted in the 119th United States Colored Troops. The regiment organized at Camp Nelson near Nicholasville, Kentucky from January 18 until May 16, 1865. Equipped with .577 caliber Enfield rifles, George Gray, Peter Gray, Edmond Hylton, Jacob Reynolds, Miles Reynolds and Samuel Tatum of Patrick County served under Colonel Charles G. Bartlett and Lieutenant Colonel Thomas R. Weaver. The regiment mustered out of the service of the United States on April 27, 1866.

After the war, Abram D. Reynolds, like many other returning soldiers, made his mark on the world in the tobacco business. His son would found the Reynolds Metals Company, makers of products such as Reynolds Wrap. Reynolds had left Rock Spring under the stigma of possibly causing the death of three of his siblings in October 1862 when he brought home cotton tainted with smallpox. He did not know what kind of reception he would receive upon arriving in Patrick County. He wrote years later:

            “My father was a fine disciplinarian and always kept me at a distance and I never knew he loved me until then when he saw me he ran to meet me and threw his arms around me and said ‘My Son the Yankees have been here and torn up every thing and my Negro men have all gone with them but since you have come back alive and well it is all right. We can rebuild our lost fortune.’ I was glad my father made this demonstration it made a better man of me. Love is the greatest gift that was bestowed on man. It has brought back many wayward children. Parents should never give up on a wayward child.”

            The United States welcomed back Virginia and The Free State Of Patrick in 1870. The Reynolds brothers went on to found a tobacco and metals business empire that is still with us today.